FILM REVIEWS, COLLECTION UPDATES, COMMENTS ON CINEMATIC CULTURE

Thursday, November 24, 2022

REFLECTIONS OF MURDER (1974)

 

John Badham directed this remake of the classic French thriller LES DIABOLIQUES (1955) for the ABC Television Network. It was one of those dark, sordid Movie of the Week presentations that were beamed regularly via cathode ray tubes into the living rooms of the American population. One can probably connect these depressing little photoplays to the growing instability of family life and the gradual decline of Western Civilization. But hey, we all needed something to do, right? And many of these TV flicks were quite well done. REFLECTIONS OF MURDER was one of the best. Its top-billed star is one of my favorite actresses, Tuesday Weld. She is joined by the equally talented Joan Hackett and Sam Waterston.

Hackett plays Claire Elliot, the owner of a large island estate off the coast of Seattle. She and her husband, Michael (Waterston) operate a private boy's school. Michael is a cruel, abusive husband. He hates living on the island and wants Claire to sell the property to a real estate developer so the couple can divorce and split the money. Claire refuses, as she grew up on the property and has a strong attachment to it. She also loves running the school. Michael has been openly having an affair with Vicky (Weld), another teacher at the school. As Vicky begins to experience abuse at Michael's hands, the two women form a bond. Vicky conceives a plan for them to murder Michael and make it look like an accident. 

Screen goddess Tuesday Weld, up to no good.

There is plenty of tension, sexual and otherwise, between these three characters. And the execution of the murder plot gets quite physical and surprisingly graphic for a prime-time TV show. Miss Weld, one of the most celebrated sex kittens of the 1960's, is deglamorized considerably. Her hair is cut short, she is reed thin, and her clothing is understated and plain. Still, her beauty and sensuality shine through. Weld gives one of the most controlled and disciplined performances of her career. She is a perfect contrast to Hackett's character. Claire's emotional turmoil keeps increasing, leading to a complete psychic break. Hackett is excellent in her very difficult role. As for Waterston, he plays Michael as a completely one-dimensional character, a stereotypical toxic, abusive male. Fortunately, that one dimension is all that's required, and the actor plays it quite well.

A not-so-happy threesome. Tuesday Weld, Sam Waterston, and Joan Hackett

 

Vicky (Tuesday Weld) and Claire (Joan Hackett) find that murder is more complicated than they thought.

While Michael's anger and aggressiveness bring a lot of excitement to the film, the relationship between the two women is the centerpiece of the story. In some scenes, Vicky appears to have an attraction to Claire, one that is not reciprocated. Weld plays these moments with subtlety, and there isn't any sort of suggestive dialogue, which wouldn't have gone over well on 1970's network television. But these moments add another layer of tension and complication to the story. Vicky and Claire make an engaging team until their plans began to fall apart and Claire pushes Vicky away.

Also featured are Lucille Benson, R.G. Armstrong, Michael Lerner, and Lance Kerwin.

John Badham has a long list of credits in film and television, including SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER (1977), WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAY? (1981), and WAR GAMES (1983). Miss Weld would find more success on television. She played Zelda Fitzgerald in F. SCOTT FITZGERALD IN HOLLYWOOD (1976), did a remake of MADAME X (1981), and received an Emmy nomination for THE WINTER OF OUR DISCONTENT (1983), among several others.

This movie has not yet been given a commercial DVD or Blu-ray release, which is the case for many made-for-TV movies. I got my copy from an online seller who records directly from television or VHS tapes. The visual quality isn't anything like a remastered product but is still quite watchable. It also might be available on Youtube. Try to see this one if you can. It's worth the effort!



9 comments:

  1. Didn't know about this one, but I seem to remember that a number of TV movies in the 1970s-80s were remakes of notable theatrical films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. There were a lot of remakes. Natalie Wood appeared in remakes of From Here To Eternity and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, just to name two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the '70s era of TV movies, and like you, I frequently find myself trying to track down titles on YouTube, or in a pinch, from resellers. As you point out, the picture isn't always the greatest, but then, that's what separates the fans from the also-rans -- we're willing to put up with imperfection in pursuit of our nostalgic fixes. :-) This one has escaped me all these years, but it sounds intriguing. Although, I'm not sure what to make of a villainous Sam Waterston -- I'm so used to him as the upright Jack McCoy from Law and Order, or gentle, eccentric Sol Bergstein from Grace and Frankie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brian! Great comments! You're right about Mr. Waterston. I've only seen him in "good guy" roles other than this film. But believe me, he has a convincing dark side. One of my favorite things about collecting is searching out obscure titles that haven't yet been given the DVD/Blu-ray treatment. You and I probably visit some of the same sources. I have to admit that most of the time I'm very pleased with quality and service. There are a few sites that don't deliver on their promises, however. In the end, it's all a gamble. I would love to find a copy of F. SCOTT FITZGERALD IN HOLLYWOOD (1976).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really rocked my memory with this one, Mike. I know I saw it at some point in the 70s but not since. Like you I am a big fan of Tuesday Weld (my first crush in her season on Dobie Gillis) and Joan Hackett and of the original Clouzot film. It differs from that in the island setting and expanding it to outside of the school. I particularly liked Lucille Benson as the dotty landlady. I searched and searched for a streaming outlet other than the youtube copy which is practically unwatchable. But I ended up watching it anyways on my ipad, a bit more bearable on a smaller screen. A VHS copy is selling on ebay for $31. The tv movies from this era as you pointed out have some real value as “B” type movies, with many interesting stars. Great writeup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting, Roger! I haven't taken a look at the Youtube video. My DVD-R copy is from a box set called Damon Packard's Big Box of Evil, which contains six TV movies all recorded from TV. The imagery is not great, but Reflections of Murder is, IMHO, very watchable. There are some fun extras, like ABC-TV promos, commercials, etc. One of the movies, Fear No Evil (1969), has recently been remastered on Blu-ray, and I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again Mike! I was wondering if you'd like to join my first ever blogathon at Films From Beyond, Favorite Stars in B Movies, being held March 31 - April 2. Here are the details: https://www.filmsfrombeyond.com/2023/01/announcing-favorite-stars-in-b-movies.html
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Brian! Thank you so much for inviting me to take part in your project. I would like to give this a shot, provided I can come up with a good idea. My first thought is to do something with Arch Hall, Jr., even though I've already reviewed The Sadist. Maybe I could do an overview of his brief career. Let me give this some serious thought, OK? I haven't been doing anything on my blog for a few months. My limited creative juices seem to have dried up! I had a couple of drafts going but haven't been able to finish them. Thanks again for the invitation, and I will let you know. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for considering! BTW, an overview of Arch Hall, Jr. sounds like a great idea!

      Delete