FILM REVIEWS, COLLECTION UPDATES, COMMENTS ON CINEMATIC CULTURE

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

COLLECTION UPDATE: LA MASCHERA DEL DEMONIO SOUNDTRACK LP.














About a month ago, Barbara Steele posted this photo on her Facebook page to publicize the release of the soundtrack LP for the 1960 Italian horror classic LA MASCHERA DEL DEMONIO, featuring the original score by Robert Nicolosi. Being the obsessed Steele freak that I am, I immediately sent away for it. The package came today. I haven't yet played it, but I'm excited to have this item as part of my collection.

The film, of course, is well known to most horror fans in America for the English-dubbed version known as THE MASK OF SATAN and by the altered version released in 1961 by American-International Pictures entitled BLACK SUNDAY. AIP deleted the original soundtrack and used a musical score composed by Les Baxter. But THE MASK OF SATAN release contains the Nicolosi score. There are a variety of opinions concerning the different versions of the film, but I happen to like the AIP version and Baxter's score. And I love the original music as well. Nicolosi's score is more subliminal and leaves many crucial sequences in silence, adding to the hypnotic, dreamlike atmosphere of the film. 




The LP was released by an Italian record company named Spikerot Records. The packaging is quite impressive. It features some very dark, Gothic artwork inspired by scenes from the film. The record itself is on heavy white vinyl. And there are liner notes from Lamberto Bava, the son of Mario Bava, the director of LA MASCHERA DEL DEMONIO. 

All in all, a nice collectible for a diehard fan like me. This should provide pleasant listening during dinner!








Here is the video I posted on my Youtube channel.

7 comments:

  1. I purchased this album as well. The great thing about the vinyl comeback is that a lot of rare soundtracks are now being released on the format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's your opinion about the Les Baxter score in the AIP release?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's okay, it has the typical Baxter AIP horror sound, which I like....my friend, Eurocult expert Troy Howarth, is not a fan of it.

      Delete
  3. I like Troy Howarth's book on the films of Mario Bava. You know a lot of very cool people! Maybe I should start hanging out at conventions again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go to Monster Bash next month! That's where I've met so many great writers, artists, and genre actors.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I should go back to the Bash one of these days. It's been a long time. Since the whole Covid lockdown thing, I've lost all interest in traveling and being around big crowds of people. Hopefully, I'll get the old motivation back. I see Veronica Carlson is appearing this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope the Bash is still able to come off, Veronica hasn't really been out of her area for almost two years. I can tell she's starting to have some cabin fever.

      Delete