FILM REVIEWS, COLLECTION UPDATES, COMMENTS ON CINEMATIC CULTURE

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

COLLECTION UPDATE FROM KINO-LORBER

 

THE MAZE (1953) Starring Richard Carlson, Veronica Hurst, Michael Pate and Hillary Brooke. Directed by William Cameron Menzies. Audio commentary by film historian Tom Weaver. This will be a first watch for me.



GUYANA: CULT OF THE DAMNED (1979) This is one I remember seeing on cable TV. Starring Stuart Whitman, Gene Barry, John Ireland, Bradford Dillman and Joseph Cotten. Directed by Rene Cardona, Jr.

ALIAS NICK BEAL (1949) Film Noir directed by John Farrow. Starring Ray Milland, Audrey Totter, Thomas Mitchell, George Macready and Fred Clark. Audio commentary by film historian Eddie Muller. I may have seen this one decades ago, but I'm not sure.


A FOREIGN AFFAIR (1948) Starring Jean Arthur, Marlene Dietrich, John Lund and Millard Mitchell. Directed by Billy Wilder. Audio commentary by film historian Joseph McBride.
First watch.



FIVE MILES TO MIDNIGHT (1963) Starring Sophia Loren, Anthony Perkins, Gig Young and Jean-Pierre Aumont. Directed by Anatole Litvak. Another 1960's film that I missed. 


AUDIE MURPHY COLLECTION

I'm pretty sure I've seen all three of these Westerns at some point. Audie Murphy's movies used to play on television all the time back in the 1970's. 


NO NAME ON THE BULLET (1959)



RIDE A CROOKED TRAIL (1958)







THE DUEL AT SILVER CREEK (1952)








DYING TO KNOW (2014)
This should be fascinating. A documentary about two famous figures from the 1960's drug culture, Timothy Leary and Ram Dass (aka Richard Alpert). I know a little about Leary, but nothing about Ram Dass. Narrated by Robert Redford. Groovy!

BEND OF THE RIVER (1952) Directed by Anthony Mann. Another one I may have seen back in my lost youth. What a cast!!





BURN WITCH, BURN (1962) Starring Janet Blair and Peter Wyngarde. An old favorite from those wonderful days of early 1960's horror movies. Audio commentary by Richard Matheson, author of the source novel Conjure Wife and co-writer of the screenplay. Also featuring an interview with actor Peter Wyngarde.


HARD COUNTRY (1981) Starring Jan-Michael Vincent and Kim Basinger. A cool movie I watched over and over when it played on cable television. Good showcase for the late Jan-Michael Vincent.


DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID (1982) Carl Reiner directed this loving and very funny salute to the classic Fil Noirs of the 1940's. Starring Steve Martin as detective Rigby Reardon, who interacts with film clips with legendary stars like Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Veronica Lake, Burt Lancaster, Joan Crawford, Alan Ladd and many others. A real treat for movie buffs.


THE ICEMAN COMETH (1973) Based on the play by Eugene O'Neill and directed by John Frankenheimer. This is one I'm really looking forward to watching.





THE GILDED LILY (1935) Starring Claudette Colbert, Fred McMurray and Ray Milland. I saw a lot of Claudette Colbert movies when I was a kid. Not sure if I saw this one.



ARISE, MY LOVE (1940) This is one I do remember seeing. Miss Colbert is always delightful to watch. 








THE BRIDE COMES HOME (1935) Another Claudette Colbert film that I may have seen.




ARABESQUE (1966) Directed by Stanley Donen.  Another 60's movie I managed to miss. Looks like a lot of fun.










2 comments:

  1. Kino has a bunch of my money....and obviously yours as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to stay away from their website for a while!

    ReplyDelete