FILM REVIEWS, COLLECTION UPDATES, COMMENTS ON CINEMATIC CULTURE

Friday, June 30, 2023

HOW I SPENT MY SUMMER VACATION: THE MONSTER BASH CONFERENCE, JUNE 2023

Sometimes in life, as in blogging, it becomes necessary to stop procrastinating and make a move, to jump in the car and go somewhere. Or sit down in front of the old computer and write something. In this adventurous spirit, I attended the Monster Bash Conference in Mars, Pennsylvania on June16-18. And in the same spirit, I am submitting my first blog post since March, in an attempt to get past my writer's block. I made it to the conference. Now let's see if I can finish the blog post!

This was my first convention attendance, indeed my first vacation of any kind, since the Summer of 2019, when I went to the Horrorhound Convention in Indianapolis to pay homage to Barbara Steele. Then, of course, in 2020 the world went insane, and my life changed forever. I've always been somewhat reclusive and enjoyed spending a lot of my time at home. But in the years since my retirement in 2015, and certainly since the Covid lockdown, I became less active and more sedentary. This year I decided to make an effort to challenge my laziness, and going to the Bash seemed like the perfect way to do it.

Although I've been a film freak for a long time, I came late to the party regarding conventions. I became aware of the Monster Bash from the Creepy Classics website, an amazing resource for all thing horror and sci-fi, including movies, magazines, posters, you name it. I decided to drive to Butler, Pennsylvania for the 2005 Bash and see what all of this was about. The drive from my home in Champaign, Illinois is around 7 1/2 hours, so I split the driving into two days by spending the first night somewhere in the Ohio wilderness. The Bash was interesting and fun, and I was glad that I went. The experience jumpstarted my new convention lifestyle, which continued later that year with Starbase Indy, a sci-fi convention in Indianapolis. This resulted from my sudden fascination with the world of Star Trek. In 2006, I returned to the Bash, this time in a different location, somewhere in the hills of Pennsylvania. The experience was less positive than the previous year, mainly because I hated the long drive. So, I didn't go back until this year. My convention experiences mostly consisted of Trek cons in Las Vegas and Chicago, all accessible by flying, which became my Number One favorite mode of travelling. (The one exception was Horrorhound Indianapolis in 2011, my first encounter with La Steele.) 

The registration table at the Monster Bash.















The Monster Bash Conference was held at the Marriott Hotel.















My hotel, the Marriott Courtyard.















This year, I decided to make the long drive in one day, not necessarily the best idea for someone who isn't crazy about driving. The conference was being held at the Marriot Hotel near Mars, Pennsylvania, nestled in a rather bizarre combination of beautiful hill country and urban nightmare. I decided to stay at the adjoining Marriott Courtyard just a few steps away from the main hotel. I made the trip on Wednesday, June 14 in order to give myself plenty of time to possibly get lost, as I am known to do, and to relax and get rested up for the conference. On Thursday, the conference was still being set up, but they were showing movies all day and allowing early arrivals to register and wander around the area. The main dealers' room was already mostly set up. I could feel my credit card twitching anxiously in my wallet as I looked over all the DVDs, Blu-rays, posters, action figures, etc. that were available. After registering, I went into the movie room to watch a Boris Karloff classic, THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG (1939), chatted with a few people, and then went back to my hotel to have dinner and turn in for the night.
















The main dealers' room.















The next few days were, quite honestly, a bit of a blur. The change in my sleep habits, including the loss of an hour by leaving the Central Time Zone, turned me into a zombie, which may have been appropriate, considering this was a horror flick conference. The Bash schedule was pretty intense, with activities beginning early in the morning and continuing until well after midnight. There were interviews with celebrities, movies, episodes of TV shows like THRILLER, trivia contests, and much more. I must admit I didn't attend all of the events, although now I wish I had done more than I did. But I had a good time, nonetheless. One of the best things that happened was getting the chance to meet an online friend, fellow Monster Kid Dan Day, Jr. Dan is a Facebook friend and a fellow blogger. His excellent movie blog, THE HITLESS WONDER (dandayjr35.blogspot.com) was, and continues to be, a big inspiration to me. Calling Dan a Monster "Kid" is appropriate, since it turns out I'm old enough to be his father! It was fun hanging out with someone who loves the classic horror films. Dan has been going to the Bash for several years and knows many of the people. The wonderful thing about the Bash is that it is literally a Mom & Pop event. Ron Adams, the owner and operator of the Creepy Classic website, runs the conference with his wife, family members, and a group of old friends. Ron is like so many of us who grew up in the early days of television. We were exposed to old movies, including the classic horror movies of the Golden Age, by seeing them over and over on TV. For some of us, that connection became one of the most important parts of our lives and memories. The Monster Bash gives us a chance to relive those memories and spend time with others who feel the same way.

Fellow Monster Kid Dan Day, Jr. (L) and myself.















I must confess that I didn't meet very many people or approach many of the celebrities who were selling merchandise and signing autographs. I tend to be rather shy about talking to people I don't know, another obstacle I need to work on. During the years when I was involved in the Star Trek universe, I became a little more outgoing. There's something about Trekkies that makes many of them very easy to approach and start conversing about favorite episodes of The Original Series or Voyager. I've lost a lot of that gregariousness. Hopefully, I can get some of it back.

I did meet a marvelous actress named Beverly Washburn, known for films like OLD YELLER (1957) and SPIDER BABY (1967), and get an autographed copy of her book, REEL TEARS. She was delightful! And I met an author named Frank Dello Stritto, who writes both fiction and non-fiction about the classic horror films. I read his book I SAW WHAT I SAW WHEN I SAW IT a few years ago and bought two more of his non-fictional works: VAMPIRE OVER LONDON and A QUAINT AND CURIOUS VOLUME OF FORGOTTEN LORE: THE MYTHOLOGY & HISTORY OF CLASSIC HORROR FILMS.

One of the main celebrities at the Bash was an actress named Audrey Dalton, known for genre films like THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD (1957) and MR. SARDONICUS (1961). I didn't meet Miss Dalton, but I attended her interview, as well as Beverly Washburn's, and they were both wonderful. Miss Dalton's film, THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD was showing one evening at a drive-in theater setup outside of the Courtyard hotel. I didn't bring a lawn chair, so I didn't go. As it turned out, the drive-in was right outside of my second-story window, so I had a perfect seat!

Even though I didn't attend all of the Bash activities, I had a good time and I'm very glad that I made myself jump into the car and GO SOMEWHERE! What better destination than a gathering of Monster Kids of all ages? 

I hereby declare an end to reclusiveness. And, just maybe, writer's block!!

















 






























8 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you had a good time and survived all the driving, Mike. I love the pictures! It is always good to meet and greet people with similar interests and passions. Hopefully you have inspired me to get out of my reclusive shell, at least as far as traveling goes. I keep planning trips and then contemplate the hours on the road and NAH. Where did all my energy go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did your energy go? The same place as mine!! I hope I can inspire you to emerge from your reclusive shell, but there's always a danger that I will crawl back into mine. I have to admit I was so glad to get back home, and I didn't do very much at all for the next few days. The next excursions I have in mind are driving to different spots here in Illinois to go hiking in the woods and state parks. Day trips. I have a strong need to be out in nature where it's quiet and peaceful. The convention circuit has a lot of attractions for me, though. We'll see what comes up later in the year. Who knows? Maybe I'll start to like driving. Thanks for the comment, Roger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With that movie room of yours that looks like one of the world's greatest man caves, it is small wonder you don't need to travel very often! It sounds like the Monster Bash was worth the trip. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thank you for the nice comment about the movie room! It is indeed very comfortable and not easy to leave. The room is rather small, just a spare bedroom on the second floor of my house. The shelves are filling up fast, so at some point I may have to make some adjustments, like getting taller shelves, or even turning my living room into the movie room. But right now, it's a good spot and I have no complaints. The Bash was worth the long, long drive, so I'm glad I pulled myself out of my comfort zone for a few days. Have you ever done a film convention? With your taste in movies, I think you might enjoy a good horror film con. Like Horror Hound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Horror Hound Weekend looks like quite a mecca for horror movie fans. I have not done many conventions. I am as lazy as they come. The only true movie convention I have attended was called It Came from Lake Michigan way back in 2007 that was concentrated on regional and indie-movie makers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can certainly relate to your laziness! If I lived somewhere close to all these conventions, I'd go more often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like our convention-going experiences have been remarkably similar. Before attending the Bash for the first time in 2019, I had only done a couple of Star Trek conventions with friends years ago. Ron and company put on a great event. Coincidentally, between all the activities, panels and screenings, I too had a chance to chat with Beverly Washburn, who is a fellow Las Vegan. Glad you got a chance to meet up with Dan -- it's important to ignore that voice in your head telling you to stay put and not go out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you're right, Brian. That voice in my head has been encouraging me to be a little bit too comfortable in recent years. I definitely need to ignore it! Hey, maybe one of these days you and I will be able to meet up at the Bash or some other convention. I plan to go back next year. It's been moved to July. As for Trek cons, I've done 15, mostly in Vegas and Chicago, and I may reconnect with that part of my life one day.

    ReplyDelete