FILM REVIEWS, COLLECTION UPDATES, COMMENTS ON CINEMATIC CULTURE

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

3 SNARKY REVIEWS TO BEGIN THE NEW YEAR!

 

HOOTENANNY A GO-GO aka ONCE UPON A COFFEE HOUSE (1965)

It's shocking to realize just how bad a movie can be. This was no doubt intended to cash in on the hootenanny music craze of the early 1960's. Presumably, that particular cultural trend came to a crashing halt after people saw this movie. The action, if you must describe it as such, takes place in a "cool" coffee house frequented by young college age types who are supposed to behave sort of like beatniks, but not really. The pseudo-Beat crowd is entertained by an endless succession of musical performances, each one more boring than the one before it. And there's a "hip" music/comedy act called Jim, Jake and Joan. The Joan in the group is none other than Joan ("Can we talk?") Rivers. Miss Rivers, young and just beginning her legendary career, is no less irritating and unamusing then when she was old and on her way out. In between all of these artistic events, there is some sort of plot. It has to do with the new owner of the coffee house trying to fit in with the hip crowd and win the attention of an attractive girl singer. The insipid dialogue spoken by the untalented actors almost made me wish the music would start up again. Almost.

That's Joan Rivers of Jim, Jake and Joan fame. A future star is indeed born.



CASE 39 (2009)

Somewhere between BRIDGET JONES' DIARY and JUDY, Renee Zellweger found herself treading water, literally, in this fairly ridiculous thriller. She plays a caseworker for Child Protective Services who rescues a ten-year-old girl from being horribly murdered by her parents. She lets the child come and live with her, only to discover that the kid is the monster, not the parents. This is yet another over-the-top, by-the-numbers horror flick that almost seems like a parody of the Demonic Child genre that began with angelic-looking Patty McCormick in THE BAD SEED, and reached its lamentable zenith, or nadir, depending on your outlook, with creepy Linda Blair in THE EXORCIST. Personally, I intend to avoid any future evil kid movies after surviving this bloody mess. The film's highlight is Bradley Cooper with hornets coming out of his nose. Try and top that trick, Hollywood. Undoubtedly, they will.


NOVITIATE (2017)

This is a lapsed Catholic fever dream masquerading as a motion picture.

 When agnostic single mother Nora Harris enrolls her daughter, Catherine, in a Catholic school, the girl finds herself drawn to the religion and becomes a convert. At age 17, Catherine feels a calling from God to enter a religious order, much to the dismay of her mother. The story takes place in the early 1960's when the Second Vatican Council was beginning the reforms that would forever alter the practice of Catholicism. The film follows Catherine's life in the convent, including her struggles with faith, discipline, and sexual awakening. It also shows how all of the nuns are affected by the changes imposed on them by the Council and the turmoil they're all experiencing.

Writer/director Margaret Betts has managed to make religious life seem so completely miserable and pointless that it's a miracle anyone would ever choose such a life. While the story does, on rare occasion, try to demonstrate some kind of balance and neutrality, it's difficult to trust a film that has AGENDA written all over it.

There are good performances by Margaret Qualley as Catherine and Julianne Nicholson as her mother. Melissa Leo, an actress always worth watching, plays the Mother Superior as a woman so rigid, cruel, and repressed, that she generates as much horror as she does sympathy. Denis O'Hare shows up briefly as possibly the most unlikeable archbishop ever portrayed on film.

All things considered, this is a downbeat, depressing experience.

Somebody hand me the DVD of THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S (1945) and let me reemerge into my Catholic comfort zone.



6 comments:

  1. You are really lettin' it rip in the new year! Three more succinct eviscerations of films would be hard to find. Even though I have not yet smelled this trio of turds, I applaud the fine flair of your film flushing technique.
    I must admit I am intrigued by the overdose of hip '60s pandering to be found in HOOTENANNY A GO-GO. I love that late '50s to early '60s era. Just about anything fixating on beatniks buzzes my brain. However, this thing sounds like they are all over the trendy map. All they still needed was a beach behind the coffee house for surfers and hot rods in the parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flash, if I may call you that, you are without a doubt the king of alliteration! I love your comments on my post. I must admit that these three capsule reviews have been on my Letterboxd page for quite a while. I decided to rework them for the blog as a way of trying to get over my ongoing writer's block which has reached toxic levels. Medical intervention may be necessary. There are so many ideas floating around in my head about things to write. But they never make it past the floating stage, It's so much easier to retreat to Youtube to watch cute cat videos until 3 AM. (No, I don't have a cat, nor do I want one. Video cats never piss on the carpet.) I think I do "snark" better than anything else, so maybe that should be my focus. I saw HOOTENANNY A GO-GO on Youtube. If you're looking for a cure for insomnia, you can watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYnuqjHNlD4. By the way, there IS a beach party scene in the movie! If you like beatnik movies, or should I say movies that pretend to have something to do with actual beatniks, then you probably know about some of my favorites: HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL, THE BEATNIKS, THE BEAT GENERATION, THE REBEL SET, THE SUBTERRANEANS, and one of the best, A BUCKET OF BLOOD. I imagine the dedicated members of the Beat movement were aghast at these films. One thing I love in some of these movies is the use of jazz. THE SUBTERRANEANS has good performances by Gerry Mulligan and Carmen McRae. Even some of my favorite Teen Angst flicks used jazz in their soundtracks instead of rock and roll, which strikes me as a little bit strange. Thanks again for your comical caustic comments!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel free to call me Flash. I've been called worse. Maybe that's why Dale Arden won't return my calls.
    Thanks for the YouTube link to HOOTENANNY A GO-GO. Ouch! That was my video masochism vaccination for the year.
    Glad to hear you're a fan of A BUCKET OF BLOOD (1959). That fine, funny fright flick made me the beatnik wannabe I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I confess that some time ago curiosity got the better of me and I watched Case 39 on Tubi or something similar (after all, how bad could something with Rene Zellweger, Ian McShane and Bradley Cooper be?). I think it says something that I don't remember hornets coming out of Bradley's nose, or much else about it. Also, I think it says something about us that evil, demonic children have become so popular in horror movies. Hootenany-A-Go-Go sounds like a good candidate for a room in Hell where it's played on an eternal loop.
    P.S.: There's nothing better for writer's block than simply writing, and posts like this are a sure cure. You are in fine form, and I hope you'll consider joining the second iteration of Favorite Stars in B Movies at my site in April. https://www.filmsfrombeyond.com/2024/01/announcing-2nd-annual-favorite-stars-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brian! Your idea of a room in Hell with Hootenanny A Go-Go playing on eternal loop is more than enough to get me to Confession. Presumably, Case 39 will be playing in an adjoining room, which is even more of an incentive. I seem to remember Bradley Cooper giving an interview assuring moviegoers that no actual hornets were injured during that particular scene, which is certainly a relief. The demonic children movement in the cinema has always kind of disturbed me. Patty McCormick seems almost benign considering what horrors have followed her. Thank you for inviting me to take part in your blogathon! I have a couple of ideas in mind which might work, so I will let you know as soon as I make up my mind. I'm determined to get back in the blogging game. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete