FILM REVIEWS, COLLECTION UPDATES, COMMENTS ON CINEMATIC CULTURE

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Notes From The Movie Room 5-1-24

 

🎬 This week I finally ventured into a theater, the first time since July of 2023, to see my first film released in 2024. I was half expecting the walls to cave in as I entered the building. Fortunately, the gods of cinema, whoever and whatever they might be, were looking down on me. The film that brought me to this momentous undertaking was UNSUNG HERO, directed by Richard Ramsey and Joel Smallbone. The story is based on true events in the lives of David and Helen Smallbone, their seven children, and their struggles to survive after emigrating from Australia to America in 1991. David's successful career as a concert promoter focusing on contemporary Christian music had fallen on hard times and he took his family to Nashville to start a new job. Upon arriving in the US, that job offer fell through, and the family, inspired by their faith, worked hard to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. The film is quite inspiring and heartwarming without being overly sentimental.

I admit to knowing absolutely nothing about Christian music, so I wasn't aware that there are some very prominent members of the Smallbone family. Co-director Joel Smallbone, who portrays his father in the film, is partnered with his brother, Luke, in the Christian band For King and Country. And their sister, Rebecca St. James, is also a successful singer and songwriter. Rebecca's start in show business is an important plot point in the film.

It was nice being back in a theater again! Let's hope it won't be another year before I go back. There were very few people there, which helped. No irritating behavior to deal with. Just like home...sort of.



🎬 Once again, I find myself preparing to upgrade a DVD in my collection to a Blu-ray, and this time I anticipate no buyer's remorse. Kino-Lorber has announced the release of three pre-code murder mysteries from the long-running Philo Vance series, based on the novels by S.S. Van Dine. All three films star William Powell. They include: THE CANARY MURDER CASE (1929), THE GREENE MURDER CASE (1929), and THE BENSON MURDER CASE (1930). My main interest is THE CANARY MURDER CASE, as one of the stars is the legendary Louise Brooks. This film played a pivotal role in her career. It was made as a silent film, right at the time when sound was being introduced to movies, so Paramount Studios decided to retool it as a talkie. When Miss Brooks was told to report to the studio to record her dialogue, she refused. While she went on to find great success in European films, Paramount blacklisted her, and she was never able to reestablish her film career in Hollywood. As a huge Brooks fan, I'm looking forward to seeing this movie in Blu-ray glory and hearing the audio commentary. My DVD-R copy is from CryptFlicks, a bootleg seller that many collectors will no doubt be familiar with. It's watchable, but the imagery is less than perfect.

I can't complain about companies like CryptFlicks, as they provide collectors with the chance to see obscure films, some of which never get good commercial releases. I picked up my copy at a film convention several years ago, and conventions are the best places to find these obscure titles. But thanks to Kino-Lorber for once again coming through with another way to make me spend money. I plan to keep the CryptFlicks copy because I love that cover!

4 comments:

  1. My sister-in-law saw "Unsung Hero" and enjoyed it. I also have ordered the Philo Vance set, and I've even bought a couple of the Vance novels that were at a discount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered the Philo Vance set and the movie Saigon with Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake. Those novels sound like fun reads. I'm still going through the Nero Wolfe mysteries.

      Delete
  2. Good for you venturing back into the movie theater again, Mike! Glad that your experience was a pleasant one. I am waiting for the theater nearest me to show a contemporary film worth seeing.
    That Philo Vance set of Blu-rays looks pretty tempting. I picked up the Warner Brothers Archive Collection DVD set of six Philo Vance movies a while back. Most were great fun and featured six different actors as Vance including a pre-Sherlock-Holmes Basil Rathbone. William Powell starred in one of the best of them, so he should be worth seeing in the three earlier films you will be getting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen any of the Philo Vance movies other than the first one, The Canary Murder Case. Oh yeah, there is one called The Gracie Allen Murder Case released in 1939 with Warren William as Philo. But I don't think it's considered to be part of the series films. It's a vehicle for Gracie Allen. When I saw it decades ago, I thought it was hilarious. I picked up a copy a few years ago and it didn't seem very funny at all. I enjoyed my theater experience. I hope something comes up that will draw you back in!

      Delete