While this humble blog bearing the title of Mike's Movie Room does indeed continue to exist, the actual space that was its inspiration has been vacated. After more than thirty-six years of living in a rather spacious one-and-one-half story, three-bedroom house, I have relocated to a smaller space. The spare bedroom that gradually evolved into my movie collection room, as seen in the photos on the left, is now empty of my DVDs, Blu-rays and posters, lobby cards and photographs.
There were a lot of factors that brought me to this decision to move after so many years.
In the meantime, the photo at the top of the blog will stay where it is, as a way to remember the old room and all the good times I had over the years discovering films and reliving my lost youth with old TV shows. I have to admit that it was a cool space, albeit somewhat crowded as the collection kept growing. The new room might turn out to be even more crowded, but it's hard to say until I start setting up shelves and seeing just how much room there is. As I prepared to move, I began downsizing a lot of my collections. I gave away a lot of books and sold off quite a few records, CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. My guiding principle was that if I knew I would never watch a movie again, there was no reason to keep it on the shelf. As a result, I made quite a nice chunk of change. What didn't sell went to Goodwill. I ended up giving away the bulk of a vinyl LP collection that had been growing since I was in high school. I have no regrets about it. I was determined not to haul those records to another house. Once I started letting go of items I thought I could never live without, it got easier. I still love records and still have an old-school stereo system with a turntable, but I plan to focus more on CDs for the storage factor and the general practicality.
I look at the empty rooms, and it seems like a scene from BACKROOMS, although not quite as weird and scary. What I'm left with now, I guess, is the Movie Room of the mind. Here's hoping I don't get lazy and complacent and put off the renovations for too long, with all the movies boxed and stored quietly away. The new room will be a lot different. Maybe not as interesting, but then, maybe more. This hobby has been such a big, important part of my life and I can't imagine not doing this anymore. Let's see how things progress.
Stay tuned...
Sounds like the worst of your move is over. After all the years of setting up stuff in your old movie room, I would imagine the decisions you make arranging your new setup will go pretty quickly once you get started. Don't forget that Barbara Steele shrine!
ReplyDeleteWell, the first step is to get the room painted and recarpeted, which might take a while. I might paint it myself rather than wait on a contractor to put me on his schedule. But I tend to be a very lazy painter! But yeah, once I start setting everything in place this will turn into a fun adventure. As for La Steele, my entire house is a shrine to her!!
DeleteI can't imagine how stressful it must be going through the process of moving out and also having to cull your film and music collection in the process. On the positive side, it must also be exciting moving to a new place and having a fresh start again.
ReplyDeleteThanks for inadvertently reminding me about Backrooms. Still need to check that film about.
Yeah, it is kind of an adventure starting over in a new and much different space. Lots of challenges to keep me busy. Glad I reminded you of the absolute necessity of seeing BACKROOMS!!!!
DeleteHey Mike! I've been there, regarding downsizing and moving. Brings up mixed feelings for sure. I feel it's better to downsizw while you are able, and not when you're forced to. My first downsize came when I was 48. I moved to Portland, Oregon for a few years, from MI. Got rid of 75 perecent of my belongings, including my beloved books, DVDs and CDs. Nice thing is you can find everything on line today. I've made a few moves since and have a smaller house with the right amount of stuff. I turn 67 in September and I feel sizing down was a proactive move. Cheers and look forward to seeing your progress, Rick
ReplyDeleteWow...you got rid of 75% of your belongings? That's amazing, Rick! I didn't even come close to that with this latest move. But I did manage to let go of many things I thought I could never live without. Now that I'm in this smaller space, I'm realizing that I still have need to downsize. So, the process goes on. I'm starting to settle in and feel more at home every day, so I guess I made the right decision. The movie room is going to take a while to set up, however. Thanks for commenting!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSorry about deleting that first attempt at a post -- spell check strikes again! Anyway, just wanted to say I wish I'd had your discipline of making the hard decisions the last time I moved -- it seemed like I packed and unpacked a hundred boxes of books at the time. Good luck on setting up your new room -- I think it will be a fun project!
ReplyDeleteThanks Brian! I'm getting more enthusiastic about getting the movie room project in motion. It's going to take a while, but I want to dig in and start working on it. I planned to hire a painter, but I guess I'll do it myself. Packing and unpacking hundreds of books sounds exhausting, for sure. Myself, I carried several boxes of books to a local mall that has a Books for Prisoners kiosk, so I did a lot of lifting and carrying during the downsizing/moving process. I actually have some extra room in my remaining bookcases now. So, I can buy more stuff!!!
Delete