FILM REVIEWS, COLLECTION UPDATES, COMMENTS ON CINEMATIC CULTURE

Friday, October 11, 2024

Note From the Movie Room October 11, 2024

 🎬 One of my longtime Youtube friends, Joe Mayo, ( MeanMrMayo - YouTube and Mr Cinemayo - YouTube  ), recently posted a "rant" video (RanTcid Mayo | "I'm Not Interested!" (youtube.com)) about people who pressure their friends to see a certain movie that they love and refuse to take no for an answer. Joe has both a marvelous speaking voice and a terrific sense of humor, so his "rant" videos are intended to make serious points, but with a comedic edge. In this particular video, Joe is discussing a friend who expresses horror and near indignation upon learning that Joe hasn't seen the 2018 remake of A STAR IS BORN starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper. The guy insists that Joe must see the movie, post haste. When Joe expresses non-interest, the guy just gets more and more insistent, bringing on a rather heated discussion between the two friends.

Joe's video made me think of many heated discussions I've had with friends regarding films and music. I'm one of those people who tends to get overly passionate about certain films that I either love or hate. And I admit to encouraging people to watch certain films and then being disappointed when they don't end up loving those films as much as I do. However, I don't get upset or offended. Well, maybe sometimes. Years ago, when I showed THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM (1961) to a friend who'd never seen it, I was hoping to initiate a new member into the Cult of Barbara Steele. He thought the movie was kind of slow and boring and felt that Miss Steele "didn't stand out". Although my gut reaction was to strangle him and bury his body in my crawl space, I quickly recovered and took it all in stride. I'm much calmer than I was in those days. Besides, the crawl space is full...

Even I have to admit that many of the movies I'm passionate about are so far on the eccentric side that many film geeks aren't going to be intrigued enough to seek them out or respond favorably if they do. When I sent a DVD copy of Ray Dennis Steckler's 1964 enduring classic THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED-UP "ZOMBIES" to a friend, I wasn't at all surprised or hurt when his reaction was, shall we say, tepid. This movie is definitely an acquired taste, or, as some might say, evidence of a lack of taste.

When someone encourages me to watch a movie, I usually agree to take them up on their suggestion, unless it's an item I consider so objectionable that I don't want any part of it. My mind is generally open to new ideas. When I was still working, I had several incidences where co-workers, knowing what a film freak I was, would walk up to me, hand me a DVD or VHS tape, and say: "Here. Take this home and watch it." And I always did. Most of the time, I enjoyed what they handed me, some more than others. One of the movies was the original TERMINATOR, starring Governor Arnold, a movie I had ZERO interest in watching. To my surprise, it turned out to be a fun watch, although I didn't rush out to find and collect the various sequels. 

One day a friend handed me a DVD of a movie I'd never heard of. It was THE RED VIOLIN (1998), starring Samuel L. Jackson. This particular friend had rather eclectic tastes in films and books, so I was eager to give the film a chance. It turned out to be one of the most amazing and emotional experiences of my life. This film is so beautiful, so totally unique, that any description I might give couldn't do it justice. All I can say is, my friend handed me an incredible gift, and I gladly extend his recommendation to anyone who reads this post. No pressure, though. You can live a long and happy life even if you never see this wonderful movie.

Getting back to the 2018 remake of A STAR IS BORN, here is my own opinion: MIKE'S MOVIE ROOM: A STAR IS BORN (michaelsmovieworld.blogspot.com)



2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I don't know which is worse: people indifferent to movies I like or people that like movies I hate. I have managed to curb my homicidal reactions to such poor judgment by gloating in the knowledge that I am far more enlightened than those ignorant wretches. Besides, I don't have a crawl space...
    Good for you embracing Steckler's main claim to fame! Some of the best movies are the ones that resonate with us personally, sometimes inexplicably, regardless of their reputation. I really need to get a hold of that one, which I only vaguely remember from a childhood television showing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steckler's magnum opus has always been high on my list of favorites. He's done a few other cool flicks as well, but nothing approaches the sheer hypnotic insanity of Creatures. Since you don't have access to a respectable crawl space, it's good that you've managed to channel your homicidal reactions in a more intellectual manner. As for me, it's been quite a while since I had a passionate disagreement regarding a film. Does that mean I'm mellowing out? Good grief...I hope not! Thanks for checking in, Flash!

    ReplyDelete